View Single Post
Old May 3 2014, 09:05 PM   #36
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Grading & Discussion

davejames wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
In another thread comparing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man I said there was no contest. ASM wins. I said the real contest would be between SM2 and ASM2. I've seen ASM2. Again, no contest. ASM2 by a country mile.

Andrew Garfield as Spidey is the best casting choice since Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. He owns this role!
The Raimi and Webb films both have their flaws (cheesy villains, paper-thin plots), but ultimately I think I have to side with the Raimi films. Despite their issues, they were just a LOT more light and fun, and Raimi had a sense of comic timing that was so much better and sharper than what Webb has demonstrated so far (where despite some good delivery from Garfield, a lot of the humor continues to fall flat). And that to me makes all the difference.
My metric for judging a movie like this is simpler: Did the filmmakers bring what I saw in the comics to life on the big screen? By that standard, for all the things Raimi might have gotten right, Webb has been better and more consistent in creating the type of Spider-Man film I want to see. And, sorry, but Garfield's portrayal of Spider-Man makes these films more "light and fun" than any of the previous trilogy, flat jokes and all.

For that matter, Raimi also did a lot of the heroic moments a lot better as well (Spidey catching a car in mid air with his webs, Spidey holding up the wall to protect MJ, Spidey attempting to stop the train...). Spidey has done some cool stuff in the Webb movies as well, but somehow little of it has really made me want to stand up and cheer.
Well I can't help you there because I thought that entire opening chase scene was cheerworthy, especially as it started with SM falling fifty stories into the first swing. And I'll take Spidey defending a smart kid against bullies over him mooning over Kirsten Dunst any day.

And for all the complaints about Tobey, Garfield's Peter does just as much crying and moping around in these movies. But Tobey was also so loveably geeky as Peter that I found it a lot easier to root for him in the end.
And again, that's not my problem with Maguire. Peter Parker has always been an angsty character, so both actors have that part right. What Garfield does better is portray Peter after he puts on the mask and lets himself go and feel more comfortable in his own skin. Maguire never did that convincingly.

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote