View Single Post
Old May 3 2014, 04:46 PM   #5278
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
No, the video suggested that the knowledge of having been resurrected could lead to the mental aftereffects. Coulson already found that out months ago. Also, it's not a fact that the knowledge alone triggers the degeneration, just one of the suggested possibilities (and Coulson's continued stability argues that it isn't the right answer). The video also said that it may be a side effect of the resurrection process and that neural rewiring could correct it. And Coulson's already had the neural rewiring.
Okay, good point. Still gives me the "Flowers for Algernon" feeling and even moreso at this point. It also leads to the whole "Coulson is unwinding" bit, which I wonder if they're going to bring up more in Season 2. Fury had May checking up on Coulson, to cover this, but what about Hill? Does she know everything? If so, why is she okay with leaving Coulson out in the wild?

I don't think that was intentional. I think it was an unplanned side effect of the memory conditioning. He was programmed with certain memories and feelings about "Tahiti," but the programming wasn't subtle or detailed enough for his reactions to be natural and spontaneous. So instead he had an essentially Pavlovian conditioned response to hearing the name Tahiti.
Remember, this was a prototype procedure, one that we now know had never actually succeeded before. Of course even a successful application of the technique was bound to have imperfections, such as the kneejerk "Tahiti" response and Coulson's general feeling of something being off, and those imperfections would make him want to know what was going on and begin investigating the question of his recovery.
And that Pavlovian response is to the very project's name. I'm no expert, but if it were me, I might have chosen a different fake location than the very project's name.

As a kid, I had a crush on a girl named Shayna. I was hanging out with a friend one day in middle school and we had just walked/biked/ran. We happened to be watching an episode of Saved by the Bell where one of the characters was named Shayna. Every time they mentioned her name on the show, I used my sore muscles as an excuse to let out an "ow." It was my early teenage way of letting my friend in on a secret, without saying it out-loud. I was hoping he'd pick up on it, but he never seemed to.

I look at Tahiti as something similar. Maybe others would pick up on it, maybe not, but I think a super-secret project with a triggered response to the project's name as a side-effect is a major problem.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote