View Single Post
Old May 2 2014, 02:40 PM   #44
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Which movie would you use to introduce someone with Star Trek?

Dennis wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post

No.

Introducing characters generally requires that you give the audience a reason to give a damn about them. ST:TMP doesn't. It assumes familiarity.
That would be rather a fault of how TMP did it but not a fault of the principle.
You didn't elucidate a principle; you asked what you mistakenly assumed to be a rhetorical question.
LOL. It wasn't a rhetorical question.

The principle is that for someone newly initiated, a re-introduction is the same as an introduction. Old fans go "Ah, yeah, we know that guy." but that doesn't turn off others.

Basically, it doesn't matter if we have seen a character's backstory in previous episodes or not. There are so many standalone films that hint at an unfilmed backstory for characters. It works.

Let's look at TWOK. Khan hates Kirk, for being exiled on a planet, where his wife died. No need to see Space Seed to understand that. Chekov isn't aboard the Enterprise at the beginning. Who is Chekov? It's not even necessary to know that he was aboard the Enterprise throughout the show. It's mentioned in the film when it's needed.

Or First Contact. So Picard has history with the Borg. No need to have watched Best of Both Worlds or any other Borg episode to get that. There's a new Enterprise. No need to know that there has been an old one that has been destroyed. Fans go "Oh look at that" when Picard smashes the Enterprise-D model, and it enhances the meaning of that scene for fans, but that's nothing to put new people off.

That said, I don't think there is any scene in TMP that would be not interesting just because you haven't seen the show. I actually know that for a fact for myself, because I have seen TMP first, and TOS only much later.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
"Look! It's Bones . . . with a beard. And just as cranky as ever!"
It's sold well enough. It's reported to Kirk that there is a guy resisting transport (the dangers had already been established). Then there's a smirk hinting at Kirk knowing the dude well. Then he gets beamed aboard with a pretty rough looking beard (in a world where everyone else is clean shaven), and he talks about being drafted, and rambles about new things replacing old things. And later he appears shaved anyways. Those things are all things that don't need TOS as background knowledge. So Kirk has a cranky long time friend who left Starfleet prior to the film. That works well standalone.

Again, it's coming down to subjective impression. Some people will like it on first sight, like I did, and some people will yawn. But that applies to every film.

Last edited by JarodRussell; May 2 2014 at 02:58 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote