View Single Post
Old April 29 2014, 09:31 AM   #35
Markonian
Captain

Re: Would you want the STO Iconian look in the novelverse? - SPOILERS

JD wrote: View Post
Markonian, I have an off topic general MMO question. Is there a reason you couldn't have horses in an MMO? I read in an article that the creators of the Defiance TV show wanted to include horses, but they couldn't because they couldn't include them in the game. I just find this kind of confusing because tons of games have included horse, including (I think) all of the Assassin's Creed games, Red Dead Redemtion, and (I think) Skyrim. Is it something to do with the Deifance game being an MMO?
I'm no expert apart from playing STO and keeping taps on dev posts. Theoretically, you can have horses in STO, like any other quadroped. However, you wouldn't be able to ride on it.
To include riding would include tweaking every costume to fold in the right way, new animations (sit up, sit down, galloping, runnin, using gear (i.e. shooting) while on horse, etc.), and making it possible for humanoids of every available size. A huge undertaking for something that, in the early 25th century, would be outdated. (The devs, however, are taking steps to introduce ground vehicles like the Argo because the Star Wars MMO has that already.)

In short: horses are possible, riding would be a time-consuming effort.