View Single Post
Old April 24 2014, 04:19 PM   #31
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: NASA chief touts deep space exploration: We can only survive if we

Yminale wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Societies needs are exponential: While humanity is likely to level off in population at around the 10-11 billion mark (see Hans Rosling's UN data analysis)
human society doesn't necessarily need to be exponential. A policy of depopulation could allow human society to reach 500 million easily. We already seeing this in Europe, Japan and even China.

Survival: Spreading out the human race to survive very real, statistically probable catastrophes has been recommended by the most intelligent people on the planet.
The improvement to survival will be marginal until the development of interplanetary travel.

Philosophical level. Humanity exists in it's surroundings of space, evolved on a single planet but part of a universe that shares all of it's elements and mechanisms. The idea that we will not travel in space when our technological level allows it, seems incredibly narrow and near-sighted. We have always expanded and will continue to do so. The solar system allows for us to be there.
There is already a precedent for decreased exploration, the Earth's oceans. We know more about the moon than our oceans and humanity doesn't seem to have a huge huge urge to explore.

Far future: If the Singularity happens, or anything similar to it
If HAL wants to explore space, let him. His concerns have no bearing on us.
Sorry, but humanity already is, doesn't matter if you think it doesn't have to be. The economic numbers from the UN also refer to the point I made. The teething problems with industrializing developing countries like China (in which over 100 million people have been brought out of poverty in recent history) also demonstrate it...they are skipping generations of technologies in some cases and not learning from the process, hence incredible air pollution. The information is out there, so hopefully they fix the problem as well.

It is obvious if you energetically direct a depopulation program you could undo what is happening, but humans naturally are developing this way. I don't see a directed depopulation program anymore do you??

Marginal survival is better than none. It will also have to be planned. There are also multiple ways to do it, and the tech may be there in 20-30 years to do something more comprehensive.

Human beings are more frightened by natural competition than the hazards of space in my opinion. I think we feel we can conquer the elements in space but are not comfortable in the sea with it's already huge panoply of life. It's psychological in my opinion. I also think a lot of people believe we already "know" the ocean, partly because satellite imagery has shown us the depths of it.

A Singularity can also encompass human derived artificial intelligence. Obviously you haven't been paying attention.

RAMA