View Single Post
Old April 21 2014, 05:35 AM   #366
J. Allen
Subtextual

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile
Re: Why Is Nemesis Unpopular?

Pasi Nurminen wrote: View Post
I enjoyed Nemesis. I enjoyed the villain. He is a sympathetic character, even if his ultimate objective of destroying Earth is too cartoonish to be taken seriously.

I find it vaguely amusing that many of the people who deride Nemesis for what they see as its weak story are the same people who praise J.J. Abrams' movies though both have far weaker (and ultimately nonsensical) stories.
Not so much weak story, as the non-sensical parts of the story. A movie can have a weak story and still be popular, and well made. It all comes down to the story elements, and I think there were far more negative elements than positive ones, but those are just my two bits on it.

I don't dislike Nemesis. There are elements I enjoyed: I love the Riker/Troi wedding, the visuals have never looked better, the opening scene was a nice change of pace, it was cool to see Romulans and Remans as the focus of a movie, and the wake held for Data, between old friends, was sweet.

It's just, as a whole, it didn't do it for me.

People who like Nemesis, but dislike the Abrams films don't bother me, or amuse me, though I do scratch my head in confusion when said people insist the Abrams films aren't real Trek. They're just as real as the other movies. It's all Trek. It really comes down to personal taste, and I always find something to like about every movie (loved the cinematography for INS, for example).

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote