View Single Post
Old April 20 2014, 08:46 AM   #630
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Christopher wrote: View Post
Oh, I trust in the writing, but that doesn't mean I'll like everything about the show. I mean, I never cared for the character design style on Spectacular Spider-Man even though I loved the writing.
I agree that the animation looks a little too busy and the droid's dialogue doesn't sound right...but at this stage I'm not about to start nitpicking the details. I had similar thoughts when I first saw some footage for TCW and it wasn't long before I got used to the style. Now I can't imagine it being any other way.

To be fair, the droid's voice is a catch-22 situation. On the one hand they need it to be articulate, totally distinct from R2 but still clearly droidspeak and the best way to do that it to modulate a vocal performance. On the other hand they have to start pretty much from scratch and can't draw from Ben Burtt's extensive library of R2 beeps and boops.

Bit of an odd observation, but one thing I did notice that felt very much OT was the explosion effect of the TIE. They look like comped explosions rather than the more dynamic simulated CG explosions from the PT. Also the music queue they used felt right out of ANH with the old high-octane swashbuckling adventure vibe. In fact I'm pretty sure it is one of Williams' compositions from the Death Star assault.

[EDIT]

Speak of the devil.

Last edited by Reverend; April 20 2014 at 09:03 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote