View Single Post
Old April 10 2014, 01:25 AM   #5026
Vice Admiral

thumbtack wrote: View Post
the financial analyses of angry fanboys
If you really think "angry fanboys" account for a sixty million dollar drop in domestic revenue, I've got some stock in a wormhole I'd like to sell you. I'd wager even the "angriest" of the fanboys still hate-watched STID multiple times.

The funny thing is that that drop happened in the market with a dedicated, lucrative built-in fandom that has largely remained loyal (even if grumbling has become more visible). I doubt it reflects desertion by "angry fanboys" so much as it reflects the beginnings of a loss of interest in the general audience. So the question that comes to the fore is how you achieve "growth in foreign markets" with a formula that over the course of two films didn't deliver growth in the domestic markets where it already had built-in brand recognition and audiences; getting a big shot in the arm out of finally deciding to open in China, for instance, isn't something you can do twice, now it's a matter of retaining that audience and building it. So it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
"The real and lasting victories are those of peace, and not of war." - Emerson

Last edited by BigJake; April 10 2014 at 03:33 AM.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote