MLP:FIM S4E21 - "Testing, Testing, 1,2,3" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Apr 4, 2014.

?

Episode Grade

Poll closed Apr 12, 2014.
  1. A

100.0%
  2. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode Title: "Testing, Testing, 1,2,3"
    Air Date: April 5th, 2014

Summary: "Rainbow Dash is preparing to take her test on the history of the Wonderbolts; a test she must pass in order to become a member of the Wonderbolts Reserves. Twilight offers to help her study, but soon realizes that her conventional methods do not work."

Live Streams:
    BronyState Theaters
    Brony Network
    Xyro HD Stream

REMEMBER: DO NOT POST SPOILERS UNTIL AFTER 1:00 PM EDT (5 PM UTC/GMT)

=-

Ruminations:
    Character development! So now Rainbow is working to make it into the Wonderbolt Reserves. Hmm, "Wonderbolt Reserves." Sounds like a whiskey. A delicious whiskey, I'm sure. Well, either by whiskey, or Wonderbolt, Rainbow Dash wants to keep flying high, and the only way to do that is to pass this test. I love Rainbow Dash episodes, and so do all of you. This episode will surely get an "A." [/implied threat]

2. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

It did. :D

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I only caught the last ten minutes (I'd worked late the night before), but what I saw was awesome!

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I like a good RD episode, seeing her struggle with learning the stuff was odd since we knows shes smart enough otherwise. Learning while she flies, I'm not sure how consistent that is with the other episodes.

The rap was...well that happened but it was nice to see Pon3 again.

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Nice, light, fun episode. All though, I now have Pinkie's rap stuck in my head.

6. Amaris

I loved it! This was a sleeper episode, in that it wasn't about action, or adventure, it was about something far more important: learning. I love the approach that was taken in explaining that not being able to learn one way does not make one stupid, and it doesn't mean that person (or pony) won't learn a different way. I loved the little character moments, especially between Rainbow Dash and Twilight (two Best Ponies, along with the other four). It also helps that we're seeing Twilight in her natural role as a teacher. I got a kick out of her teaching methods, and Rainbow Dash's clown-ery was awesome, because it's completely natural to their characters. Now, I've been a huge fan of Amy Keating Rogers, and consider her one of my favorite writers, and this episode just reinforces my belief that she just knows the characters so innately. We even get to see background and secondary characters playing an important role in the overall story.

In fact, this whole episode is filled with tiny character moments that stand out, and create a richer, more complex tapestry. We get to see more of Equestria on a normal day, which I love. I've said this before, but I LOVE slice of life episodes, when we get to see our ponies on an average day, just doing what they do best. It felt genuine, it felt relaxing, and it's already one of my favorite episodes this season.

I give it an A. More of this, please.

7. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sweet Luna on a tricycle this was amazing

This was like the ultimate episode. Hilarious funny parts, lots of d'awwww moments, amazing facial expressions (s4 has been really good about that!), with a really good story (and excellent message) focusing on my two favorite characters while still utilizing the other mane 6 in really good ways. AND even a bit more world-building!

You know that feeling when you watch something horrifically bad or stupid and you say to yourself "I want my (however many) minutes back"? Well, I pretty much feel the exact opposite of that toward the 22 minutes I spent watching this :D

A+ and serious contender for best ep of the entire series.

8. Amaris

^ Indeed! One scene in particular has endeared itself to me. I wonder if you can guess which scene that is. :D

9. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This was, to me, a perfect episode. There was absolutely nothing that happened that wasn't hilarious, adorable, or interesting. It had world-building, lots of character moments and facial expressions (including an *amazing* scene-stealing deadpan from Rarity), and was an extremely good/important 'lesson' episode much like Maud Pie's theme of different ways of emotional expression are still valid.

On a personal joy note, since I'm an unabashed huge Twilight fan, it made me giddy to see both flying buddy and study buddy sessions with Dashie and Twilight. It also had what is easily my favorite random Pinkie scene in the whole show so far. The fact that it was so horrifically, distinctly 90s just had me in stitches.

10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Pinkie doing her best Fresh Prince impression... :D

11. Amaris

Here it is, ready for replay over and over and over again: :D

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=003WdaUtdBM[/yt]

12. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A+

I'd buy a Pinkie Pie rap record in a heartbeat! Awesome EP! :bolian:

13. Amaris