Thread: DS9 on blu ray?
View Single Post
Old April 5 2014, 03:59 AM   #252
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Why don't we have an upside version of the show? Or a mirror image version? Or a black and white version? At least give us the options.
Which is plain silly and insulting. There are millions of 16:9 TV's out there and broadcasters looking for content to put on them.
Why even go to the trouble of painstakingly finding all the original footage and tranferring it to HD if they're just going to chop it to pieces?

What I find silly is the idea that people can't watch a series because black bars are visible on the sides of the screen. Not only are black bars visible, but the frame of your television set is, too, as well as your TV stand and the living room wall on either side of the TV. Are those too distracting as well?

I think you're right that there is a demand for old series to be shown in widescreen on broadcast TV. That's why we have the horrendous-looking Seinfeld and TNG on BBC-A. I don't think people realize just how much content is cut.