Thread: DS9 on blu ray?
View Single Post
Old April 5 2014, 02:33 AM   #249
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

jimbotron wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

I've watched many, many hours of Star Trek under less than ideal conditions over the years. I, for one, would like to have 16:9 as an option on the discs along side 4:3.
Yes, options are always the way in these cases - totally agree. The only downside is the practicality of offering both aspect ratios.

You can't do it via seamless branching, so, the choices are: Drop the bitrate (quite considerably) on one/both of the encodes, or, double up on the discs - never going to happen IMO.
It's extremely impractical. It's not like recomposing the show for 16x9 is a piece of cake. I'll break down some of what it would call for...

Please just be happy with the way the show has always been framed.
Umm, wow. Did you actually read any of my previous posts? Here's one of the sentences I used - with emboldened highlights for clarity:

"The only downside is the practicality of offering both aspect ratios."

I am extremely happy with the presentation of my filmed visual entertainment in its OAR, thank you.

I plainly haven't been explicit enough for you, but I actually advocate and endorse it.

Whatever the processes involved, it is technically feasible to create 16:9 versions and offer them to those who so desire - thus providing said options.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; April 5 2014 at 02:47 AM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote