View Single Post
Old April 1 2014, 06:37 PM   #7
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: TMP: The return of main characters - questions and thoughts

mendelin wrote: View Post
Question #1:
why Kirk accepted the promotion to admiral?

I guess, there was no alternative. If you are on duty, you have to accept rules. According TMP Kirk is not happy with his promotion, but he can live with it, if there is a hope to return Enterprise. So, admiral Nogura had manipulated Kirk right from the end of five year mission. But this explanation is not quite sufficient due the Kirk's strong character and his beliefs. More likely he will simply retire from the Starfleet to save his freedom. Or am I wrong?
That's one of those things you just have to accept because movies/shows need a stable status quo, and they act like this great aversion to higher responsibility is a normal thing (especially TNG). But it's not how real people at the top of their profession act. Kirk's career goal would always have been the very top, and he would know that there would be periods of staff duty as well as command in space. And staff duty is also important work, a chance for Kirk to use his experience to benefit Starfleet in a different way than commanding a starship. Kirk wanting to stay in starship command is effectively saying he's not up to new challenges, he wants to stay in his comfort zone, and other captains are better suited to being his boss than the other way round.

But ultimately "it's only a movie." Kirk needed to get his mojo back, which for purposes of the film was becoming captain of Enterprise again.

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
i wonder why they felt they had to set it so soon after TOS? Why not 10 years as in real time to account for the actors aging and radical redesigning..?
How sure can we be about how much time has passed? IIRC the only timeline clue in the movie is Kirk saying he served two and a half years as chief of Starfleet operations, but there's no way to know when that assignment started.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote