View Single Post
Old March 26 2014, 11:35 PM   #2
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Warp-power-scaling data point

Great to learn you are still with us! And another fine article getting into the details of nuclear fusion reactants, beautiful!

zDarby wrote: View Post
Deuterated chemicals do not react quite the same and though they are not quite poisonous, neither are they useful. IE, drink enough heavy water and you will die because your chemical biology will not be able to incorporate the slightly different chemestry of deuterium.
This always reminds me of the scene in the original "V-The Visitors" where the main protagonist goes to these huge tanks aboard the V-saucer and opens a valve to taste it. Last time I thought "What is the idiot doing, drinking deuterium?" but of course it just turned out to be water...doh!

I had been under the impression (like in "Oblivion") that aliens would harvest deuterium from our sea water but those in "V" apparently could cross vast interstellar distances but didn't have a fracking clue how to manufacture H20... (IIRC we had one Star Trek species with the same "capabilities" but I'll leave it to someone else to name it - Seriously, turned me off at first to continue watching this ST series).

It is perfectly possible to store your fusion fuel --deuterium-- in a chemical compound in order to either greatly decrease the size of the tankage or to greatly increase the energy density per volume. Not only that, but by storing it in a chemical that is easier to store --less cryogenic, for example-- you also greatly decrease the mass of the tanks.
I'd like to believe I understood the basics. To decrease volume of ship storage it's essential to compress the reactants. Could there be a way by the 23rd Century to compress deuterium from a liquid into a more solid form or would you need the "chemical compound" (and what would / could this probably be)?

Since it's reasonable to assume Star Fleet engineers could easily realize the possibility of chemical storage of deuterium but choose to store it as a liquid instead, it seems to me, for some technical reason, energy density per kilogram is more important than energy density per liter.
The "liquid storage" is inspired by publications like the TNG Tech Manual? Would chemical storage have better advantages?

Let me say that again. I deduce from fusion fuel storage methodology that: Power requirements for warp fields increase more quickly with increased mass than with increased volume.
I assume there's one or more things I missed or did not understand. Bigger mass always makes bigger power requirements inevitable to move it forward (equally at sublight or FTL), I thought.

I'd be grateful if you could elaborate. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote