View Single Post
Old March 24 2014, 01:23 PM   #449
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: You know what really irks me about "Insurrection"?

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
That doesn't exactly disprove my point that the TNG Federation is acting like Russia under Putin in this movie.

In fact it's just the opposite.

What with eminent domain of today requiring a legal proceeding which in part (from the sounds of it) finds out if a government can actually seize the piece of land in question and makes sure the owner is given just compensation.
I know exactly what eminent domain is in the here and now. Problem is we're not discussing the "here and now", we're talking about a society that exists three hundred years in the future and has one-hundred different species as members.

Trying to ascribe human values, which we don't even all agree on, to such a society is beyond ludicrous. People claim they watch Star Trek because its "smart and sophisticated" yet go for the most black and white explanation possible when discussing the ethics of the future.

The Vulcans wrote:
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...
The only thing that is clear to me about Star Trek: Insurrection is that Picard betrayed his oath as a Starfleet officer and committed treason against his government. If he wants to have a hand in those types of decisions, he should resign his commission and run for a seat on the Federation Council.

Star Trek: Insurrection wrote:
I have to go back, if only to ...slow things down at the Federation Council.
The quoted is not the job of a starship captain. I don't care if his name is Jean-Luc Picard, James T. Kirk or Seymour Butts.