View Single Post
Old March 23 2014, 07:37 AM   #164
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2014

21. Network (A+)

The first of two movies I rewatched tonight. Sidney Lumet and Paddy Chayefsky's uncannily accurate prediction of the rise of FOX News retains all of its power, though I do wonder how seriously the movie expects us to take William Holden's blather, which is pretty much just "get off my lawn" nonsense (rather like how Chayefsky-worshipper Aaron Sorkin approached the internet in The Social Network).

22. The Palm Beach Story (A+)

Quite possibly my favourite of the 30s/40s screwball comedies, this tends to be ranked behind Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve among Preston Sturges' filmography, but in my opinion it's a lot more consistent. Part of that is the presence of Claudette Colbert as the female lead -- she pioneered this genre with Frank Capra, and she's in top form here, ably assisted by Rudy Vallee and Mary Astor. Sturges' de facto male lead, Joel McCrea, again takes that role here, and while he's fine, he's nowhere near the calibre of his co-stars. Also, watching these older movies makes clear how much the switch from trains and boats to airplanes has caused problems for screenwriters, since there's way less story possibility there.

Cinema: 9
DVD: 5 (+2)
Computer: 8

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote