View Single Post
Old March 18 2014, 05:30 AM   #51
Clark Terrell
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Why Does Khan Assume Kirk Knows Anything About Genesis?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
It was speculated earlier in this thread that Kirk only knew about Genesis because Carol Marcus was involved with it.
Right. I think that's the most likely explanation. Kirk couldn't have known all the details but may have heard about the project given Carol's involvement. For all we know, he may have seen the video presentation and forgotten about it because he had more important things to do but remembered once he heard from Carol.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For all we know, Kirk may have been the Academy commandant at the time of TWOK and didn't really get brought into the full loop after he contacted Starfleet that something was amiss at Regula I. It could have been a case that as the highest-ranking officer nearby (and also because he was James T. Kirk), Starfleet entrusted him to deal with it.
Here's what I think happened:
  1. Kirk contacts Starfleet after receiving jammed message from Carol.
  2. Kirk explains situation to HQ (Morrow, Cartwright, or Smillie) and advises Starfleet that Enterprise is in the midst of a training cruise and cannot intervene.
  3. Starfleet orders Kirk to proceed due to relative proximity to Regula One and offers that Kirk has most of his former senior staff aboard to assist and grants him access to Genesis materials for the duration of the mission.
  4. Kirk watches Genesis tape to understand basic idea of project.
  5. Kirk goes to Spock's quarters to talk with him as seen onscreen.
Clark Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote