Re: Movies Seen In 2014
1. Megaforce (F) - Doesn't even enter the so bad it's good. If you get a chance, watch it though, because the badness needs to be seen to be believed.
2. Loose Cannons (C) - Hits a lot of the right notes but never anything special as the chemistry never quite seems to kick off between the leads, Hackman & Ackroyd..
3. The Last Boy Scout (B+) - I love his film, might be marking it higher than I should because of that, for me it's a quintessential beer & popcorn movie. Willis is superb, as is the girl who plays his daughter.
4. Operation Condor: Armour of God II (D) - Worth a watch for Jackie Chan's stuntwork, not much else though.
5. Universal Soldier (B-) - Lundgren steals this movie from JCVD, so much more than the sum of its parts, let down at times by poor directing ad some shoddy sets.
6. The Addams Family (B) - Strong performances by a very good cast push an OK script into a very good film.
7. Hudson Hawk (C-) - A forced farce that just never quite holds together.
8. Showdown In Little Tokyo (F) - Awful, just awful.
9. Ricochet (B) - An over the top film that is very enjoyable. Lithgow is a delight and Washington oozes class on screen.
10. Delirious (D-) - Weak performances and script. Candy does stand out but can't save this from being a below average mess.
11. Heart Condition (E) - Only the on screen chemistry between Hoskins and Washington save this from getting an F.
12. Big Trouble In Little China (B-) - Dislikeable characters, off-the wall plot and yet I enjoyed this.
13. Regarding Henry (C) - A film which benefits greatly from Ford being so watchable.
14. The Man In The Moon (C-) - A nice little movie that throws a lot of coming of age, dealing with loss and sibling rivalry tropes at you and is fairly well acted, but nothing outstanding or even close to original about it.
15. True Colours (B) - Cusack and Spader bring it in this tale of friendship, politics, deceit and betrayal.
16. Billy Bathgate (C) - Despite strong performances from Kidman, Hoffman and Willis this always felt like a TV movie to me, in fact it might have worked better as a mini-series.
17. Simple Men (U) - It put me to sleep half a dozen times, therefore ungraded.
18. Sniper (D) - It's OK, acting, OK, script, OK, directing...you get the gist.
19 Death Becomes Her (B+) - Nearly great, just not quite enough substance to push it to an A. Willis, Streep and Hawn all put in great performances.
20. Twin Dragons (C) - Double Jackie Chan, what's not to like? Good farce, some good stunts and chuckle-worthy throughout.
21. Mortal Thoughts (D+) - Just never quite hangs together as a cohesive whole despite a couple of notable performances.
22. Love Potion No. 9 (C-) - Borderline, nearly got a D+. It's very lightweight and performances are OK. Wet Sunday afternoon, you could do worse than this.
23. Raising Cain (D) - I wanted to like this more, I do like Lithgow's performance but the film doesn't do it for me. Kind of feels like it should have been less linear, a more cut up approach may have worked better and would explain why we have almost gratuitous clock and timepiece shots with no real need.
24. Groundhog Day (A) - Great film, great performances.
25. Deep Cover (C) - Nice drama, nicely acted with Fishburne putting in a really good performance.
26. Midnight Sting (C+) - Better than the sum of its parts. Does have a slight A-Team/KnightRider feel, small town villain getting his comeuppance.
27. The Young Americans (E) - Messy mish-mash of a film that never quite grabs your attention.
28. Crime Story (C) - A Jackie Chan vehicle that feels like a bit of departure from what I know him from. Better acting than in a lot of his films and, as per usual, the stunt work he does always makes it worth a look.
29. Romeo is Bleeding (D) - Gary Oldman is superb but the film never holds together and I kind of drifted in and out of it because of that.
30. Robin Hood: Men In Tights (D) - It has its moments, Patrick Stewart is one of them, but feels tired and formulaic. The jokes are hit and miss, with far more being misses.
31. The Three Musketeers (1993) (C-) - Fun and silly, but no substance to speak of.
32. My Cousin Vinny (B) - Surprised me, really enjoyed this film. Funny and some good performances.
33. Undercover Blues (D) - The lead characters are affable enough, the film is shoddy though and some of the supporting characters are just plain irritating.
34. True Romance (A) - Morally wrong, intellectually wrong and the romance is wrong and twisted but it's a great film.
35. Bad Girls (C-) - An OK film with the 'twist' being that the leads are female. It adds nor detracts from the final product. That said, it was better than what I had expected it to be,
36. Back In Action (E) - Has a few moments of interest but this Billy Blanks and Roddy Piper vehicle crashes and burns.
37. The Snapper (B-) - A family tale set in Ireland about an unplanned pregnancy and its fallout. Colm Meaney is simply superb in this.
38. The Real McCoy (D-) - Early nineties Kim Basinger vehicle that is mediocre in every way, excepting Val Kilmer who was awful.