Thread: DS9 on blu ray?
View Single Post
Old March 16 2014, 02:22 AM   #167
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Blu-ray sales are only a small part of it. The studio is future-proofing the series by remastering them. It's either that or they say, "well, I think we've made enough money with these shows, let's just let them die now." You really think there's a chance they'll do that? If there's any more money to squeeze out of these shows, rest assured they'll squeeze.
Just let them die? Well, to be honest, with DS9 and VOY, I do think that scenario is a possibility, yes.

As fans, many of us care about the longevity of Trek in all its incarnations, but I do think we're (not necessarily you, Hober) sometimes prone to overestimating the perceived value of it beyond TOS and maybe TNG.

I take your point reference additional revenue streams, but I believe those very same perceptions (and the reality) of DS9/VOY being far less successful hold valid in cold business decisions.

ENT is with us on Blu purely by virtue of its pre-existing readiness for quick and painless release - and on a technical level, they're pretty weak transfers.