View Single Post
Old March 13 2014, 05:17 PM   #36
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Re: Do you think LotR holds up?

Any-hoo, in response to the OP:

LOTR is likely to be the definitive film version of the saga for a long, long time to come. The next generation at least. The awesome scale, sweep and visually iconic nature of Jackson's work is just too well-entrenched (and still too profitable, not to put too fine a point on it) to get around.

It's certainly imperfect, though. I thought it was near-perfectly cast and performed, but almost all of Jackson's attempts to add to or reinterpret the source material are misfires. The Two Towers, which contained the most of these (heaviest concentration of romance subplot, painful dwarf-tossing jokes, extraneous added action sequences) is the weakest instalment for that reason. A more faithful retelling would be more powerful in some ways.

But there may not be reason to remake it for future generations. A lot of the other flaws that make people uncomfortable about the movies now -- the endless sermonizing about Hope, the clear visual distinction between Good and Eeevil, ROTK's half-dozen endings -- are straight-up baked into the source material. In fact Jackson did a better job with cutting extraneous source content than he did with adding in his own stuff -- we were wisely spared Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire, due respects to the Tolkienologists who complained so bitterly about the latter.