View Single Post
Old March 13 2014, 12:11 PM   #29
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
Re: Do you think LotR holds up?

Set Harth wrote: View Post
It's the Fellowship of the Ring, not the Fellowship of the Rings.
*checks his DVD collection*

HOLY SHIT, YOU'RE RIGHT!

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote:
too many endings
It had the same ending as the book; the other ones weren't endings. In particular, stopping the story on the slopes of Mount Doom would have been a shitty excuse for an ending. That's why it wasn't sold as one. The screen just went black. Not the same thing.
The main problem with these "endings" is the editing, direction and the tone of each and every one of them. They all feel like the screen could have faded to black after each of them, and there's WAY too much pathos there.

Oh, and remember that scene when lava hardens under The One Ring? Half the audience in my theater went like "OK, now you're just fucking with me!".

ROTK isn't really a bad movie. It's just that it could have been much batter, had Jackson downplayed some of it... Or most of it.

All in all, to answer the OP's question, yes, the trilogy does hold up quite nicely.

DonIago wrote: View Post
When you set up a large cast of characters and arc stories, of course there's going to be multiple endings.
The entire WYLB pt.2 is a one big set of goodbyes, and for some reason, it works perfectly. Maybe because we've spent seven years with those people (not counting Ezri) and have come to love them. I just wish Voyager and Enterprise ended in similar fashion.