View Single Post
Old March 4 2014, 01:06 AM   #26
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: Review - Star Trek # 30 Parallel Lives 2of2

Markonian wrote: View Post
I'd like to add that we haven't seen any of the cool new crewmembers from STID in the comics - Dawkins, the brig guard, Madeline and the woman with spiky white hair. Only 0718 is (finally) about to make an appearance in the next issue.

Also, why does Starfleet have to be so infested with Humans in the new timeline? We couldy easily have more variety and get some background of new species like the Kelvin's Cygnian (?) or Madeline's people.

Any chances we might get a novel series after the Alternate Reality Trilogy is concluded? There are so many fascinating concepts and characters left to be explored. We never had a fully functional parallel universe with a Federation before, only glimpses into various universes, no single coherent one. (The mirror universe(s) only gains a Federation-lookalike in the final issue.)

Anyway, the new universe is visually appealing.
The racial (species) mix of the crew is something I find frustrating. They are hamstrung by the fact that so many of the TOS crew were human but they could start to spread their wings a lot more than they have.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of them featuring visually interesting one-shot aliens when there are so many pre-existing races to develop. But I'm also a bit of a hypocrite. Why have we had 3 Orion crew-men (2 in the movie, including out-take, and one in the comics) when they are not members of the Federation and make great villains, but no Andorians or Tellarites who are founding members of the Federation? I'm also quite fond of the Zaranites, Saurians, and Arcturians from TMP or the Caitians, if they ret-con the dreadful shaved look from STiD to make them sexy. Bring in Ensign Ilia and lets explore her character too.

The difficulty is always going to be the number of characters they have to use. We want each of the Big 7 to get a look in more regularly than other supporting characters but it's also nice if Rand, Zahra, Marcus, Kai, and Keenser are featured a few times a year, and preferably with at least one meatier appearance. It's a tricky balance but they could definitely do more if they try to feature an alien guest crewman in each issue and just rotate them depending on the needs of the plot (so have alien helmsmen and navigators on hand when Chekov, Uhura, or Sulu are elsewhere etc - we already have Xon, Arex, M'Ress, and Ilia lined up after all).

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote