View Single Post
Old March 2 2014, 09:54 PM   #26
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Dune: The TV series

I never read the books but I watched the movie & both miniseries. I generally preferred the movie. The miniseries was able to give more nuance to the political maneuverings. But the movie just kinda gave a scale to the story and the importances of the things happening in it. The miniseries just kinda felt like it meandered around a lot before it ended. And William Hurt was totally phoning it in.

From what I know of the series, I kinda have a hard time seeing how a lot of audiences would follow a TV version given the massive time jumps between books.

IMO, a better candidate for TV series adaptation would be Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. The whole series takes place over the course of about 7 years or so and carries over a lot more characters over the 6 book series. In some ways, it's basically a PG-13 version of Game of Thrones but with more Roman trappings than medieval trappings.