View Single Post
Old July 13 2007, 04:14 AM   #26
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

Re: HD experts, help an idiot!

Trekker4747 said:
Outpost4 said:
^ And I watch 4:3 television window boxed. I even have a pre-set that will switch my 4:3 DVDs over to window boxing.

I wish I didn't have this attitude that TNG-R would be cropped to 16:9. I guess I'm just too cynical to think it won't happen.
So as I said in my last post, rather than crop to 16:9 why not "smartly stretch" it into 16:9?

I've had several people watch my TV and not notice the distortion issues. (It's only obvious when a character is standing on the side of the screen, then one side of their body is noticably fatter than the other or when the camera pans across something, lines and objects react as you'd expect over the transition.)

But, to me, doing that is preferable to losing information or artificialy cropping the picture.
I don't like a "smart stretch" picture. While my widescreen TV is too old to do that, I see it all the time on TNT-HD. When I do, I turn to a different station.

What you like, I don't like. What I like, you don't like. It's a quandry.

But in a very real way, Trekker, you prove my point. People, including you, like to watch television with the picture filling up the whole screen whether it was meant to be that way or not. The idea that TNG-R wouldn't be widescreen one way or another, I think that is just not realistic.

Belar said:
But, to me, doing that is preferable to losing information or artificialy cropping the picture.
Yes, it may be preferable. But why having the trouble in the first place? A 4:3 program should, IMHO, be watched in 4:3.

But don't try to convince me. It seems to be just MY strange sense for aesthetics ...
I share your ethic completely. I just know Mr. Typical doesn't.