View Single Post
Old March 1 2014, 01:18 AM   #197
Bixby
Commander

Re: Fan Film Writer's Primer

Maurice wrote: View Post
Bixby wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be SO much simpler and be even more dramatic to actually SHOW that the shields are weakening instead of TELLING it (yes, the old cinema staple).
Yep. Show not tell. Of course I know why this whole "shields down to nobodycares percent" thing started: it's cheaper to have an actor blurt out this line than to visualize anything.

Honestly, I thought about this way back when TNG was on the air. If I'd been the Exec Producer I'd have instructed Okuda to make library of control panel inserts illustrating shields taking hits from various directions, power levels flickering, weapons firing in various directions, impacts getting through the shields, etc. and used these as needed to show what would be too expensive to film (extra space battle shots, etc.).

Bixby wrote: View Post
WRATH OF KHAN did this superbly by actually showing the Reliant punching a hole in the shields with its phasers (then a literal hole in the Enterprise's hull), before cutting to a close-up of the bridge tactical screen with the ship's graph clearly showing shields distress (huge blinking sections).
I think you're misremembering the scene slightly. The Reliant hits the Enterprise with NO SHIELDS up. The phasers just slam into the hull.
Whoops! shows I haven't seen Wrath of Khan in a few years.,,sorry for the goof, but the example is still valid...

True, TNG started having random crewmen blurting out this cliché as a means to keep their budgets down, but they also did the following which had me almost tearing my hair out on a regular basis: towards the end of many episodes where the Enterprise is being confronted by a ship piloted by that week's ridged forehead alien-du-jour, they would build the suspense where it was time for the Enterprise to fire phasers/particle beam/antimatter blast, but because they had blown their budget, they would keep the camera on the bridge crew where they would say out loud what is happening, instead of showing it.

Original Trek might have had a super tight budget back in the day, but they rarely, if EVER disappointed when it came time to show the action...

Last edited by Bixby; March 1 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote