View Single Post
Old February 27 2014, 07:11 PM   #80
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: Captain of the next Trek series

BigJake wrote: View Post
The Stig is right about Trek needing to get the characters right. But I've said this before and I'll say it again: the notion that "Trek is Kirk, Spock and (sometimes) McCoy" does not wash. Their presence or lack of it does not make it more or less a safer bet, period.
You're wrong about that. Having Kirk and Spock in the new films gave it the hook it needed to gain audience attention.

Leaving aside the fact that by far the most successful Trek show in the franchise's history was TNG,
Successful and largely forgotten in the public eye. Picard and Data have not endured, twenty years on, the way that Kirk and Spock have over the past fifty.

which did not feature Kirk, Spock and Bones... even bracketing that out, ironically enough, NuTrek itself is a data point here: it really contains "Kirk" and "Spock" in name only, with the core elements of the characters completely changed and "Kirk" rendered as closer to a frat boy than a great leader of men,
That's not at all true and betrays an extremely shallow viewing of the two films. Both characters are different due to circumstances but retain much of what made them so compelling. Spock's internal conflict is amplified by the extreme circumstances of the first film. Kirk still displays that potent mixture of bravado and cunning that made him such a great captain, while still learning what it is to truly lead men. We're seeing them young, not fully formed, and there is a clear through line from the new films to the Kirk and Spock we saw fifty years ago.

and it rounds out the triumvirate with Uhura (McCoy is a minor character by comparison). Audiences came out to see it anyway, because most audiences -- even most Trekkies -- don't particularly give a shit about defining Trek as all about Kirk, Spock and Bones. They just want to see some space adventures and be told a halfway decent story.
If that was even remotely true, Serenity would have been a monster hit.

In actuality, the cachet of Kirk and Spock sold audiences on the first film. The skilled execution of these younger versions fueled the appetite for the second film, which did quite a bit more money than the first. Audiences have responded to these new incarnations of Kirk and Spock, and quite strongly at that. Would I personally like McCoy to play a bigger role? Sure. That said, he was a pivotal part of STiD, far moreso than he was in many of the TOS films. I'm quite happy with the expanded role for Uhura and look forward to even more in the next installment.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote