View Single Post
Old February 27 2014, 04:29 AM   #187
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: Tabulated review threads sorted by average score

More granular. Not more accurate. There is no independently measurable quantity being assessed.

What the hell difference does it make if something averages 3.2 on a scale of 5 compared to 4.5 on a scale of 7?

Besides, oddly enough, I'm a teacher and I've done some research on survey and assessment design. At least for the average high school and college students, more granularity does not result in any higher statistical correlations based on preferences; the official recommendation of the design document I read literally was that, when surveying people about likes and dislikes, a scale of 1-5 be used, as anything more was overly complex and produced no more useful data.

Which is probably why the biggest and most competitive sales companies in the world, which rely on user reviews to sell things, do exactly that.

So perhaps you are so granular that you have precisely plotted your opinions to the nearest seventh, but the vast majority of humanity doesn't give a shit, and that's been statistically proven.