View Single Post
Old February 26 2014, 05:00 AM   #33
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: The Redshirt Myth?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Overall the Security casualties seem to account for about 50% of the fatalities over the course of the series. Given the loss of entire crews (or nearly so) aboard other ships the loss rate aboard the Enterprise doesn't seem so alarming.

- Valiant (two centuries prior): entire crew and ship lost
- Horizon (a century prior): entire crew and ship lost
- Archon (a century prior): entire crew and ship lost
- Valiant (50 years prior): entire crew and ship lost
- Farragut (12 years earlier): half the crew lost
- Beagle (6 years prior): entire crew and ship lost
- Antares: entire crew and ship lost
- Constellation: entire crew and ship lost
- Exeter: entire crew lost (save for the Captain)
- Excalibur: entire crew lost due to M5 attack
- Lexington: unknown number of casualties due to M5 attack
- Hood: unknown number of casualties due to M5 attack
- Potemkin: unknown number of casualties due to M5 attack
- Intrepid: entire crew and ship lost
- Defiant: entire crew and ship lost
Yes, but it follows the same narrative logic that a Red shirt serves - other good guys die so that our heroes are either spared or can learn about the problem. TNG's first two seasons were also rife with this trope. Might as well paint their hulls red. But it's also kind of unfair to compare other one-off crews and ships to the primary crew of a TV show, since if the primary crew dies, so does the TV show. Really, there's no need to paint the Enterprise as unique since we already have two shows and 6 movies that deal with her exploits.

I showed my boyfriend BoBW and ST:FC, and when he put them together with STIX, he determined that the main purpose of Starfleet armadas was to blow them up (I haven't shown him the Dominion War, but I'm confident that he'll chalk that up as well).