View Single Post
Old February 25 2014, 10:42 PM   #254
JJohnson
Captain

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I think it's all a matter of execution. Uhura isn't just some random guest character of the week. She's a regular that the audience identifies with. She could easily have stepped into the role McKennah serves in "Lolani" and you wouldn't have to insert anything overt into the discussion. She could merely relate to Lolani on a personal "friendly and sympathetic" face sort of way. The poignant juxtaposition would be in the nonverbal symbolism: Uhura as the symbol for what Lolani and others like her long for.

One quibble I have with Kim Singer as Uhura is she doesn't have Nichelle Nichols' exotic aura for lack a a better term. Uhura was African, not African American, and she spoke English with a touch of accent that added to her aura and distinctiveness. STC's Uhura comes across as American. Now if she thought of it or the STC thought of it, depending on her skill as an actress, maybe Singer could try to evoke a touch of Nichelle Nichols' manner of speech.

Note that JJtrek's Zoe Seldana doesn't have Nichell Nichols' presence either. Nichols gave Uhura grace and poise and something of a feline demeanor. I've no doubt that's actually part of Nichelle Nichols' personality and it's not an easy thing to capture. But it's unmistakably the TOS Uhura.

Of course I'm also thinking that Uhura always deserved a little more screen time, and it would have been a strong message back in the day just to see her up front a bit more. Now a production like STC has that opportunity to do something that should have been done back in the day, but wasn't. In "Lolani's" case I believe Kim Singer was available for only one day of shooting so that might pretty well snuff out more of her involvement in this episode. But I would like to see Uhura given some screen time beyond manning the communications board or singing in the rec-room.
I personally prefer Nichelle Nichols as an actress to the current Uhura actress. The current one doesn't have the grace, charm, or character that Nichelle put into her Uhura. I would have loved to see the original Uhura get more screen time, and what she did get in the movies I enjoyed. I do hope that STC can continue using the character in new ways that are in tune with the original series' version of her, as well as Chekov and Sulu and Scotty, and McCoy. Maybe the unproduced 'Johanna' featuring McCoy's daughter could be a future episode?
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote