View Single Post
Old February 23 2014, 04:55 PM   #290
Forbin
Admiral

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
I don't know why they even bothered - people tested the gun-in-a-vacuum routine as well as the gun underwater routine decades ago. Pretty sure I've read about both tests in one or another of the gun magazines I've been buying for 30 years. A cartridge is basically factory sealed and everything it needs to explode is contained inside the shell, whether the shell is in a vacuum, underwater or being deep fried.
I'm sure a lot of things the Mythbusters tackle have been tested before. Doesn't mean it's not worth testing on their own and showing it to their audience on film.

Firefly got that wrong, btw, when Jayne declared he had to fire his gun from inside a spare, pressurized space suit.
I don't know how Firefly got the facts wrong about a fictional gun that exists centuries from now. Maybe there was something about "Vera" that DID require at atmosphere around it?
Nope. Vera was just a gun. We saw she took normal-looking cartridges. It was just writers who don't know much about science (and they admitted it).
Not to mention that Jayne kept firing Vera at full auto for quite a while after the spacesuit visor shattered and the air would have evacuated.
It was juts dumb writing trying to sound clever.

Why would a spacefaring culture make a firearm that couldn't be fired in space?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote