View Single Post
Old February 20 2014, 04:33 PM   #23
PattyW
Commander

Send a message via AIM to PattyW
Re: Star Trek: Phase II's "The Holiest Thing" - Delayed

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
It's a great pity with the Protracted Man that an entire episode shot is now deemed unusable. Also doesn't that story fall into 'you cannot use an episode written for Paramount' territory? It would be good to have a 'canonical' Kirk origin story - seeing him meet Spock, at the Academy and of course taking command of the Enterprise.
Not if the rules haven't changed. When CBS handed the rule down it was "anything we've purchased". Gerrold pitched "The Protracted Man" but CBS rejected it because it was "unfilmable" at the time.

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
I don't know if you're planning to produce 22 episodes or two seasons worth but if you decide to finish SOMEONE needs to interview James Cawley, yourself and a whole load of others for a BOOK about New Voyages/Phase II as the behind-the-scenes story of the series is so rich, yes there have been a few dramas but nevertheless all the other stuff is so interesting - getting official writers/actors back onboard the Enterprise etc. with behind the scenes photos, unused poster art (there have been a few) the First Voyages idea, etc. If someone would like to give me a few pointers, I'd be happy to help compile it!
Rich Newman (the former head of security) and I both have that books in the works (two seperate books), and the film "Backyard Blockbusters" covers it as well. The first thing that has to be done is to get permission from CBS for publication. (I was able to get permission for Phase II artwork to be published in an art book, so it's not impossible.)