View Single Post
Old February 20 2014, 03:41 AM   #5
Botany Bay
Rear Admiral

Re: Can TOS be appreciated by younger viewers?

Interesting. Are you watching the remastered or original effects?

I watched TOS in my childhood, which means late 80's-mid 90's, and I was absolutely enthralled by it. At that point the episodes were 25-30 years old, not exactly brand new.

The only thing that ever seemed dated to me were the women's hairstyles. Maybe now for the latest generation (who grew up with a real communicator and tricorder in their pocket in the form of an Iphone), perhaps TOS feels dated to someone of that era who'd never seen it before.

As for the pacing relative to Berman-era stuff, I doubt there'd be a single episode of TOS that is slower paced than Star Trek : Nemesis, a film that was made in, what, 2000-ish? A group of us re-watched that movie recently, and we all felt like time was going backwards...it was THAT slow.

Anyway, I hope you will watch Seasons 1 and 2 of TOS, and give us your impressions. Season 3 may be a bit hard to sit through, the action/stunts quotient was severely limited in the last year of the show.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote