View Single Post
Old February 18 2014, 04:24 AM   #179
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

AverageWriter wrote: View Post
JD5000 wrote: View Post
I'm not gonna give you any flak, you're entitled to your opinion. However, I think you will find yourself in the minority with it.

I'm obviously on Worf's side. He is definitely one of my all time favorite Trek characters.
Perhaps.

But I'm not simply going to concede to majority opinion.
And no one is trying to change your opinion, just express theirs.

AverageWriter wrote: View Post
I've been watching Trek since I was six, and when it comes to Worf, the character expansion we got, contrary to what has been said here, has been (for the most part) in the final seasons of Next Generation.
I would disagree with that. His relationship with Alexander was defined in episodes like "Firstborn," but Worf still was uncomfortable in his own skin. Remember back to "Redemption, Part II," Lursa a B'Etor talking about how he "is not like his brother." That's Worf's character. He still forces Alexander to go through the process of becoming "a warrior," despite K'Ehleyr's wishes. It isn't until Alexander from the future almost kills himself as a boy, that we are treated to Worf backing down.

In "A Fistful of Datas," he was grumpy the entire time. "Why do I have to do this?"

He was on the side of Nora Satie in the "Drumhead" because he was simply security on the ship. He was a buffoon that jumped at the chance for violence. His attitude towards Q, for instance.

On Deep Space Nine, Worf really is lost. The Enterprise-D is destroyed. He is robbed of his house. His brother is off somewhere with a wiped memory. He's not able to find a place in the universe that fits him.

He has found a home with the clerics and thought he would continue his studies there. But the war with the Cardassians robbed him of that opportunity. He doesn't want to stay in Starfleet, he doesn't want to deal with life outside of the Enterprise. He is searching for fulfillment.

Over the course of the series, we see him find that home. Worf finds friends on Deep Space Nine, he has a wife in Jadzia, a new house and power with the Martok family, and even when he loses Jadzia, he is not as lost as he was when he first came on the show. By the time that he has to confront Gowron, he is strong enough in his conviction that he is a capable enough Klingon to challenge the leader of the High Council for his seat. Worf is very loyal. Picard, Sisko, etc. For him to challenge authority is controversial.

Deep Space Nine is not a controlled environment. On board the Enterprise, as Worf states, we see him around like-minded people, uniformed people with regulations. Worf is not very accepting on board the Enterprise. Look at his attitude to different cultures that come on-board, to Lwaxana Troi and her time with his son, etc. The episodes you talk about are about Worf's growth and getting accustomed to life on the station. Some of the finest moments was him overstepping his bounds, and then learning the life lesson.

For instance, in Hippocratic Oath, he takes discretionary time and spies on Quark, thinking Odo will not do his job. Sisko has to call him in for a lecture and tells him there are "unofficial rules" on the station. He is a window into how Starfleet would react to a place that doesn't hold with its ideals.

In "Bar Association," he has his quarters robbed. Not a thing that would happen on the Enterprise. Is that what you are talking about? And it led to one of my favorite scenes, Odo confronting Worf with a list of incidents where Security was breached on the Enterprise.

In Sons of Mogh he questioned whether or not Starfleet was enough for him now. He's been dishonored for acting on his conscience. He no long is convinced that he is a capable warrior. He questions himself in a way he never did in TNG.

Then there's Rules of Engagement where he has to admit that he wanted them to run the convoy and he craved the battle. Again, someone questions Worf if he is a warrior or a human. He hits him because Worf asks himself that question every day. When Gowron does the same thing, he doesn't back down. He doesn't get mad and angry, he very quietly becomes the leader of the High Council (and cedes power to Martok).

He gains Martok's respect in By Inferno's Light. Jadzia softens him in a lot of ways. She gives him a home, a character like him--steeped in Klingon tradition and wearing a Starfleet uniform. Their relationship is my favorite romance on the show. When he loses her, he isn't destroyed by it. Despite the fact he sacrificed his career for her (Change of Heart), he honored her memory and moved on. He didn't mope (not act like a child, mope) like he did when he first came on the station.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote