View Single Post
Old February 18 2014, 02:06 AM   #804
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Just watched Doctor Who and the Silurians. It was a decent story, but it could have been a great story. Its biggest problem? It was about 3 episodes too long. It really suffered from padding. At 4 episodes, I think it could have been a stand out story. As it is, its ok but drags a lot in the middle. It has a few other problems, like having the administrator of the research lab being at a level of denial that is probably an indication of severe brain damage or life threatening stupidity. The Doctor, Liz and the Brigadier were as good as they usually are (although the Brigadier's refusal to believe the Doctor went on too long, especially after his experience with the Doctor in Spearhead from Space). Still, I liked this story well enough, but its problems keep it from being more than decent, even though it had potential to be more.
The third Doctor's era contains many six parters so I'm afraid you're goiong to have to get used to the longer stories if you keep watching his stories. And that season only had four stories in it and some 25 weeks to fill, so they went with one four parter and three seven parters.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote