View Single Post
Old February 17 2014, 05:16 AM   #2150
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Shurik wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
About three weeks ago Martin's UK publisher tweeted that The Winds of Winter is "almost certainly years away", then deleted that tweet but let one stand saying it certainly won't be published this year. Since the TV producers have said they're aiming at a seven- or eight-season show and there won't be any production slowdowns to allow the books to catch up, it's pretty much a done deal that the TV show will finish before the book series.
His last update on the TWOW progress was during some interview last March, when he said it was about 1/4 done. There were no updates on his blog for more than a year. I'd be very surprised if it comes out before 2016.

Considering the quality of the last two books, I'm OK with the TV show finishing first.
I'd rather read the books first but I have no problem with HBO finishing the series first. If the threat of having the TV show finish before the book series couldn't motivate GRRM to move his ass and stop reveling in world-building, that's his problem. HBO is not going to coddle him like this publishers and editor have.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote