View Single Post
Old February 16 2014, 01:32 AM   #162
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

I loved it, and forgot I was even watching a 'fan film'. It felt pretty damned professional to me, and apart from the different actors , felt like a missing episode of TOS. Had a certain 'Elaan of Troyius' kind of feel to it, almost. The lighting was all right, the music cues.

Star Trek can be many things, and that's what I love about it. One week you'll get a WW2 submarine-battle adventure in space, the next a romance, then a whimsical comedy episode, then a heavy political drama, etc. I own all 6 shows on DVD and all the movies. There's an episode for just about any occasion.

The only fan films I've seen that really feel like the real McCoy (no pun intended) are New Voyages/Phase 2 and Star Trek Continues. I think there's room for both. More TOS is never a bad thing in my book. I forget I'm even watching different actors after a while. Getting actual stars of the 'real' Star Trek as guests, helps to legitimise them in my mind. Are there any other fan made productions such as these two who boast veterans of official Paramount Trek (behind or in front of the camera)? Of Gods and Men had a rough production quality, but it was great seeing so many familiar faces again .