View Single Post
Old February 15 2014, 07:54 PM   #393
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384
Re: TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I've been away from Treklit and indeed any Star Trek for a very long time, mainly due to fatigue and having issues with some of decisions that were taken with the direction of the novels. I'm ashamed to say that Rough Beasts of Empire was one of those that drove me away. Upon reading the section where Sisko walked out on Kassidy Yates and his entire family, I literally threw the book across the room!

I've read the occasional Original Series releases here and there as well as keeping up with Kirsten Beyer's absolutely fantastic Voyager series, but beyond that nothing. Until the urge took me to download this novel the other day. It certainly was a brave decision given that it was David R. George III and his take on DS9 that partially drove me away in the first place.

I'm so glad I did and I absolutely feel ridiculous for being driven away in the first place. Others in this thread have pointed out that the novel felt like a pilot and, indeed, it proved so for me. Obviously you couldn't not be aware of the destruction of the original Deep Space 9 and Kira's disappearance, but the rest was completely unknown. David manage to explain everything that I needed to know so that I was able to enjoy the novel.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't faultless: it did feel as if the Keev stuff was getting in the way of the main story. You'd get to the end of a gripping chapter on DS9, turn the page and then groan when the first word was Keev. However, I soon got over that and was just as interested in it as I was by the main story. Quite a few shockers in this one!!!

In short then, it was a perfect novel to restart on for me as the whole set up of who's who and what's what was done, and frankly it was great to see (nearly) ever character that I loved from Deep Space Nine TV series and novels get a look in. Top stuff.