View Single Post
Old February 13 2014, 03:36 PM   #65
Strange Citizen
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Did You Ever Notice Riker Doing This?

Interesting thread.

As a kid, I always thought the way Riker seemed to not only echo Kirk in his pursuit of women, but also go further to the point where Frakes appeared to be actually channeling something akin to James Bond into the role of Riker, was all rather silly, if also funny. Every time Riker ended up alone with a woman, it was all rolled eyes and "Here we go again..."

For just two of the most gratuitous examples, there was that time when Riker seduced that very willing Irish girl - he was really channeling James Bond there, and it was utterly laughable... "You generally start at the top...and work your way down" "I think I can handle that!" *groan* Lol but seriously, it's like Frakes decided that he would channel Roger Moore's Bond that day.

And there was the time in the episode "First Contact" when an alien woman wanted to have it off with him simply because...well, we don't know why, but yeah. She claimed it was because he was an alien, which is accurate as she's from a different species, but the idea that he actually slept with her just so he could escape from the hospital (and the fact that she was virtually begging him for it) is both absurd and hilarious. He even got the parting words: "I'll call you the next time I'm passing through your star system"! Yep, inter-spatial stud, that's for sure.

What's more, for all of Kirk's reputation as a womaniser, I think Riker was actually far more extreme in this regard. I'm pretty sure I'm correct in thinking that Riker either scored with or made out with a chick in at least one episode of every single season of TNG. Am I right? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he did.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
JD5000 wrote: View Post
I like Riker as a character, there's no difference of opinion there at all. Like Kirk/Shatner, who I also like, it's just really easy to find some humor in Frakes' performances.
I agree that it's easy to find humour in his performance. But his character comes in for a lot of criticism, too.
I will say this: every time I've tried to write serious fanfic with Riker as a character, it always turns into a satire. Riker does not do well in my ST satires (neither does Kirk, for that matter). I still have fond memories of the TNG soap opera parody a friend and I wrote for our ST clubzine... poor Bill Biker and Hellana of Troi didn't fare too well.
That's interesting, I never thought of this kind of thing too much before but when I think about it now, it makes a lot of sense - Riker is the kind of character who's easy to parody and do satires with.

On that note, if you don't mind me asking, did you actually write a soap opera parody of TNG based on the Iliad? Or did you simply use those kinds of names? If it was based on the Iliad, could you please send me a link to it? I'd really like to read it - I love crossover stories, and the idea of Star Trek mixed with the Trojan War is just hilarious.

If I'm wrong and it's nothing to do with that, then don't worry. Still sounds interesting though.
Strange Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote