View Single Post
Old February 12 2014, 08:58 AM   #1065
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

It was the stated intent of the showrunners that ENT was in both TOS and TNG continuity. Any idea that it wasn't is fanwank toówait for itódeal with all the not-so-utterly-minor ways that ENT didn't mesh with previously established Prime Universe continuity.
Wasn't the show runner's intent to be free of the prime timeline and style, from introducing new temporal aliens to changing the opening theme? They may have tried to work their way back to the prime timeline but that wasn't the premise.
It was never their intent to be free of the Prime timeline. If anything, all the temporal incursions were supposed to ultimately result in the Prime Universe as we knew it in TOS.
Sorry, on second reading, I see that I simply echoed what you said in the underlined passage.

Here is the Rick Berman interview I was thinking of (full interview available at link).

HIGHLIGHTS
[...]
Berman on Enterprise [2:08:20 - 2:39:15]
[...]
  • Berman disagrees with fans who felt he and co-creator Brannon Braga ignored Star Trek canon and continuity, noting "we absolutely didnít, we tried to pay great attention to it"
  • [...]
  • Cites Manny Coto and ties to TOS for critical success of fourth season and felt "isnít any doubt we could have gone on for another three [seasons] if we had been given the chance"