View Single Post
Old February 11 2014, 02:37 PM   #87
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
No interest whatsoever. TAS is simply an oddity to me.
TAS would've worked for me if the animation was done in Japan by the same studio that did Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (aka Battle of the Planets in North America and Europe) or the same studio that did Macross (Robotech in North America and Europe) and shown in prime time on a TV network; as it is, it works slightly for me, but not much.
While I love the vintage work of Tatsunoko, it would have been a bad fit for Star Trek.

When adapting live action with characters / actors as universally recognized as the TOS crew, the goal (outside of being a faithful spin-off) is to capture the essence of the actors. One of the reasons TAS quickly eased pre-release fears was the combination of a straightforward capture of actor likeness combined with a style that was not too much of a departure from the live work (unlike Filmation's My Favorite Martians or Hanna-Barbera's Jeannie).

In 1973, Tatsunoko had a defined style (as seen in Gatchaman the previous year). I doubt the studio would have taken another approach in dealing with ST, so I have a strong feeling the usual, large eyed, somewhat exaggerated anatomy would have been force-fit over ST, rather than the style fitting the need of the content.