View Single Post
Old February 10 2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Scout101
Admiral

Re: NFL Offseason '14: Wake me up when minicamps start

tighr wrote: View Post
Teams will pass on him not because of his orientation, but because whichever team drafts him is going to by default get attention which will cause a distraction (i.e., non-traditional tv shows and magazines who don't typically talk about football will try and get interviews/articles about him). The distraction will be more of a concern than how good of a special teams player he will be (which is what he will be). Unfortunately, like all players, if he doesn't get results on special teams, he will be cut, and that will also invite media distraction.

They also said this is the same reason no one picks up Tebow as even a 3rd QB, even though it's highly likely that Tebow is one of the top NINETY available quarterbacks today.
BAD teams will do exactly that, because they're one media circus away from imploding. Good teams could figure out a way to handle it.

Just as a direct response to your last bit, the Patriots DID pick up Tebow as a 3rd QB for at least the pre-season. Did the media thing for a couple days, then calmed down. And they cut him because he wasn't a good QB, not because he was a distraction...

So again, a GOOD team with competent management and some solid locker room leaders should be able to handle this without too much issue. It'll completely destroy the season of a bad team. Going to the Jets or Dolphins may be slightly different than the Patriots or Packers...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote