View Single Post
Old February 10 2014, 02:29 AM   #71
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Certainly my examples weren't what happened exactly, those were just general pictures to visualize the principle I was talking about. To turn it around, we lost our ability to climb trees properly (look at our feet), and I'm pretty sure it's because we didn't need it anymore, and not because a random mutation forced us to live on the ground.

And your mane example makes me wonder if you got my entire point. I was never talking about cognitive functions influencing the genetic make up (the “i want a mane so hard“ thing). That is very certainly not the way it works.
As we moved away from forested areas (and the forests became less dense and eventually disappeared) being able to run became a better trait for survival than the ability to climb trees. Those with feet that provided for better running ability survived and those with the clumsy tree-friendly feet did not.

You're basically suggesting that somewhere in our subconscious is a genetic encoder box that recognizes what is needed and codes new genes for that purpose. I get it. I get it, I reject it and I mock it.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote