View Single Post
Old February 10 2014, 01:05 AM   #62
CeJay
Commodore

Re: The Star Eagle Adventures V: Shadows in the Haze

Day Eight: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

– I –

Srena moaned quietly and Deen immediately turned away from the console she had been working at and within moments was at the young Andorian’s side. The pilot had drifted in and out of consciousness over the last few hours, often mumbling incoherent nonsense which to Deen was a great concern and a sign of a significant traumatic brain injury. Something that had to be treated quickly but which required not only the care of a medical professional—which she was not—but also much more specialized equipment and medication than she had access to on the runabout.

“Lance?” she asked softly.

Deen took her hand, like the rest of her body much of the healthy blue color had drained from it and it was clammy to the touch. “I’m going to get you back to him, I promise you that,” she said and brushed her short white hair. “You just hang in there for me, alright?”

There was no indication that she had understood a word Deen had said.

The Tenarian reached for a medical tricorder, removed the separate scanner and ran it over the injured woman. The results were not encouraging. If anything, here vital signs were getting worse.

Next she found a hypospray, checked its content and injected it into her neck and then watched as the Andorian slowly drifted back to sleep.

With a heavy sigh, Deen stood and left the runabout. She found Leva and Xylion working at the front of the small vessel, where the thruster control module had been.

The tactical officer turned to look at her as she approached. “How is she?”

She shook her head sadly. “Not well. Besides a broken clavicle and numerous broken and cracked ribs, she’s also got a skull fracture, a severe concussion and most concerning of all, an intracranial hemorrhage. And that we can’t treat here. She needs to get back to Eagle as soon as possible.”

“I recommend you induce a coma to give Ensign Srena the best chance of survival until we are able to return her to the ship,” said Xylion.

“I’ve done that but her injuries are so severe, her vital signs are still dropping. I don’t think it will give us enough time,” she said and then looked at the work they had done. “Any progress here?”

“Without the thruster control module we are unlikely to produce enough thrust to be able to lift off,” said Xylion.

“We’re considering rewiring the impulse engine to give us a boost sufficient to clear the planet’s gravity but it was severely damaged in the crash,” said Leva.

“Can we repair it?”

“It is possible,” the Vulcan said. “However, according to my calculations it will require at least seventy-two hours of labor to manually carry out repairs and configure the impulse engine to allow us to lift-off the runabout.”

Deen shook her head. “Srena doesn’t have that kind of time.”

“We were discussing some shortcuts we could take,” the tactical officer offered. “It won’t be pretty and its definitely not going to meet safety regs but we might be able to shave off a few hours.”

The Tenarian didn’t look comforted by this, fully aware that they needed to do far more than gain a few hours. They needed days if they wanted any hope of being able to safe Srena.

Leva looked passed her, his eyes narrowing. “What is she doing here?”

Deen and Xylion quickly followed his glance to spot somebody approaching the runabout from the direction of the settlement.

“I don’t believe it,” said Deen and rushed back inside the Nebuchadrezzar.

“I thought you had made your feelings regarding any visits clear,” said Leva.

“The lieutenant was very specific.”

“Looks like it didn’t take,” the Romulan said as he watched the young Vulcan woman approach the runabout.

Deen came back holding a phaser, clearly intending to make good on the promise she had made to Volik. She would not stand for any of the Vulcans trying to interfere with them again.

“Stay here, Commander,” Xylion said to Leva when he saw Deen moving to head off the approaching Tela.

The tactical officer frowned. “You know, I’m the one with the security background. I think maybe I should—“ But Xylion and Deen were already on their way. “Fine, I suppose you two can handle an unarmed young woman by yourselves.”

“You have been warned to stay away,” said Deen as she closed in on their unwelcome visitor, her phaser held at the ready. “You’ve done enough here already.”

The woman was not to be deterred and kept coming.

Deen raised the weapon. “Stay where you are.”

“I must speak to Xylion,” she said and then stopped a good twenty yards away from Deen.

“He’s got nothing to say to you.”

“Lieutenant,” the science officer said as he caught up with her. “I will hear what she has to say.”

The golden-haired operations officer didn’t seem to agree. “Everything has already been said, Commander. We’re just wasting time.”

He regarded the other Vulcan for a moment before turning to face his fellow officer. “We spoke to Volik. It may be possible that other members of the settlement have diverging opinions. We should hear her out.”

“I wish to speak to you in private,” Tela said from where she stood. “Please.”

Deen shook her head. “I don’t like this.”

“Stand down, Lieutenant,” he said and then approached the young woman.

She holstered her phaser. “Vulcans. If there are any more stubborn creatures in the galaxy, I haven’t met them yet,” she said. “I’ll stay right here and keep my eye on her,” she called after him.

“That is acceptable,” Xylion said but kept his focus on Tela. “What have you come to discuss with me?”

But for the moment she seemed more concerned with the armed Deen, watching her with sharp eyes.

Xylion noticed. “You will not be harmed as long as you remain peaceful.”

“I have not come here to hurt anyone.”

He raised an eyebrow. “However some of your people did. They attacked and nearly killed Ensign Srena.”

Her facial expression visibly darkened. Then she slowly headed away from the runabout, indicating for Xylion to follow her, clearly not wishing to be overheard by Deen. He did as she asked and they came to a halt by the canyon wall and not too far away from where the Starfleet away team had first encountered the young Vulcan woman.

She turned to face him. “I greatly regret what has happened to your colleague, Xylion, and I wish for nothing more than that it had never happened.”

“It is not logical to wish for something that cannot come to pass.”

“Our people have been on their own for a very long time and I’m afraid to say that some may have lost their way. Many no longer follow Surak’s teachings the way they should. They have lost their grip on logic and I fear that it will destroy our settlement.”

“And you believe those individuals are responsible for the attack on the ensign?”

She nodded. “Yes. I would not be able to say who exactly was responsible but I have my suspicions.”

“While those responsible should answer for the crime they have committed, our more immediate priority is to return our injured crewmember to our ship where she can receive the medical attention she requires to survive.”

“I understand this. That is why I have come, Xylion. I’ve spoken to my father and he is willing to help you.”

The science officer’s schooled features only allowed the tiniest hint of his skepticism to show. “He appeared adamant that he was not in a position to do so when we spoke to him before.”

“He is concerned. Like me and like many of us are about our colony here falling apart. If logic truly begins to fail us we may be in danger of reverting back to the violent and aggressive ways of our forefathers.”

“Interesting,” said Xylion with the intrigue of a scientist. “Studying such a anthropological shift among an isolated group of Vulcans could have significant scientific value. However, I find it doubtful that such a considerable behavioral change could take place within the time this colony has existed on this world.”

“I don’t know, maybe it is something inherent to this world, but Xylion, we’re not a science experiment. We need your help to survive.”

“What do you suggest?”

Tela glanced back towards the runabout where she could still see Deen, watching her like a hawk. Then she looked him straight in the eye. “You could teach us so much, Xylion. You could ensure that we stay true to Surak’s teachings. That we remain true to what it means to be Vulcan,” she said and the reached out to gently touch his wrist. “Choose to stay here with us and Volik has agreed to do whatever is in his power to provide you with what your friends require to leave this world.”

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote