View Single Post
Old February 5 2014, 04:29 PM   #50
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Is Avery Brooks a good actor?

Bad Thoughts wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
I felt Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimerman both got better as their makeup improved. I think Nana Visitor was better as she toned down her anger, but in her defense that was a character development.
Kira's development became obvious after Duet: confront past, grow mature. Odo's was more difficult. Auberjonois was extremely disappointed with his character in season one. He may have even threatened to quit. Season 2 was a huge turn around, obviously leading into the cultivation of the Dominion War. In the beginning, he was the funny alien who changed shapes. By the end, he held the key to understanding between peoples: he was the one who brought the Dominion War to its end.
I find that baffling-season 1 Odo was one of the most unique characters in Star Trek-a gruff outsider with no knowledge of where he came from. Unlike Spock in that he was emotional and he had no known heritage to draw from. Unlike Data in that he didn't want to be more like the Humans.

Then came late season 2 onwards Odo, and he became the love-sick guy whose people were at war with his adopted friends. I think he was better early on.