View Single Post
Old February 5 2014, 03:49 AM   #4209
intrinsical
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I have to say, I feel much better about the new executive producer after hearing his interview on the priority one podcast.

He talked about how repeatable events that STO currently have does not always translate to the game being replayable. How that focus on replayability rather than repeatability showed up a little in the new featured episode as random events... sometimes you faced a Voth sniper, other times you faced a Voth mecha. More still need to be done to achieve replayability. A Step Between Stars still feels repeatitive after a couple of playthrus, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

He also talked about his liking of EQ, EQ2 and WoW's quest system where some quests only took 30 minutes but other quests may take 6 hours or even a year (epic quests) to complete, and having appropriate rewards for them. And where there are quests, there is usually a good story to tell. These are something that I felt STO had forgotten about, giving players long term goals to strive for and giving players a story. I am hopeful that season 9 will have some kind of quest system that will give players something to work on for a period of time.