View Single Post
Old February 5 2014, 01:38 AM   #23
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Actors' personalities vs. their character's personalities

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
i don't think I've ever seen Patrick Stewart play a part differently. He's Picard in Star Trek, he's telepathic wheelchair Picard in X-Men, he's youthful swashbuckling Picard in Dune... he Picard's well but maybe I've just missed all his more varied roles?
Picard would never have carried a pug dog around the Enterprise for most of his scenes. And Sejanus is nothing like Picard.

Shik wrote: View Post
As far as Patrick Stewart goes...many years ago, I was with a friend at a restaurant in NYC & we happened to see him eating alone. After we finished our dinner, we went over & introduced ourselves & told him how much we admired his work. I told him that as much as I enjoyed him as Picard, my favorite role of his was as Lucius Aelius Sejanus in "I, Claudius" (I LOVE "I, Claudius", I do..). He got this great big grin on his face & when I added that I was so sad that he didn't do any scenes with Brian Blessed, who played Augustus (& who I friggin' LOVE; that man is hiigh-LARious), he started telling us tales about his early days & working with Brian & others from that cast. We ended up sitting down & listening to him regale us with tales from the Claudius set fro like 35 minutes. It was fantastic.
Damn, I am envious now. I, Claudius is the first time I ever saw Patrick Stewart in anything, and he was able to take one of history's villains and turn him into a character that evoked a tiny bit of sympathy at the end... mostly because although he was horrible to everyone else, he did sincerely love his children.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote