View Single Post
Old February 4 2014, 11:50 PM   #138
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Movies that OFFEND you

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
The Wicker Man remake. No, not because it was a bad remake of a classic (which I've never seen), but because of the horrible view of women and the way it strung the audience along until the final scene of Nick Cage being tortured and killed. It's basically a snuff film for misogynists with a victim complex.

Only movie I ever walked out of furious.
The only way it was going to work in an American context is if it was about a community of women who use and destroy men like female bees use male bees ('the drone must die!). There was no way it was going to be about a English Lord and the community he leads staging this festival, since that was already done (remakes usually change something from the original plot to make it fresh the second time around.) The same would probably happen with a remake (more like adaptation, since both the 1973 and 2006 movies are based on a novel called Ritual) from Bollywood or from some other country as well.

A movie I've found to be offensive to me-and I'm not usually offended by movies-is The 40-Year Old Virgin, for suggesting that the main character is one simply because he collects comic books and action figures. At first I was indifferent to the movie and was blasť about seeing it, but after seeing a still of Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell) on his bead reading a comic book, my indifference turned to revulsion; the movie simply states he's like this without examining other possible factors, like being a man going his own way, or a person who feels unable to marry because he has an autism spectrum disorder like Asperger's syndrome. What's more, the Carell character has to sell his stuff when he gets married, but the girlfriend character Trish Piedmont (Catherine Keener) probably doesn't have to sell hers. Put simply, I don't like people telling me my life or hobbies are linked to my virginity or reason(s) that I'm not married.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote