View Single Post
Old February 4 2014, 10:05 PM   #14
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I find your attitude bizarre. Science isn't "dogmatic," it's a process through which we refine our understanding of the universe. It's not perfect. It probably never will be. But it provides testable, provable information about the world around us. Religion is about offering hope and solace (at best) or enforcing social order (at worst.)
I wasn't talking about science being dogmatic but rather some atheists when it comes to pushing their anti-god agenda with science.

Science will never be able to prove or disprove the existence of god so - giving people their belief that god started the big bang IMO is a harmless concession.

Certain religious groups are intent on demeaning and attacking science because they believe it threatens their doctrine. It's been the same old story for centuries, and science always wins out in the end, because science is about finding the truth, not hiding truths we may find uncomfortable or strange.
I agree with you - science is science and faith is faith but letting some people have both but yet still adhere to proven scientific principles is a reasonable way to compromise on the issue of creationism, "intelligent design," and the big bang and god as the watchmaker.
It is ok to believe a god started the Big Bang and science can't disprove the untestable.
Until science finds out what started the Big Bang. Then which gaps fill the theists next with their god?
This has happened over and over throughout history. And always they have said, but scientists will never explain X, only god could have done that. And then science explained X. And theists burned the scientists with fire (maybe sometimes literally)literally) until they had to change their position because the world threatened to move on without them.
It will happen again...
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote