View Single Post
Old February 4 2014, 09:46 PM   #11
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I find it irrelevant. No deity or supernatural force of any kind is a requirement for the Big Bang to "work."
I generally agree. However, and to paraphrase the movie Contact, for people to dismiss more than 1/2 of the earth's population belief in a deity as some sort of delusional behavior is insulting.
All I can say to that is "tough shit." Science is about facts, not feelings.

I'll give them the fig leaf of the big bang being started by god if they accept the science of evolution and natural selection as a reasonable compromise.
This is not a tit-for-tat. Science doesn't have to acknowledge unscientific assertions just to placate people. Evolution is true whether people "accept" it or not.

Atheists get it wrong IMO when they because as dogmatic as some conservative religious people do with their beliefs or lack there of.
I find your attitude bizarre. Science isn't "dogmatic," it's a process through which we refine our understanding of the universe. It's not perfect. It probably never will be. But it provides testable, provable information about the world around us. Religion is about offering hope and solace (at best) or enforcing social order (at worst.)

Certain religious groups are intent on demeaning and attacking science because they believe it threatens their doctrine. It's been the same old story for centuries, and science always wins out in the end, because science is about finding the truth, not hiding truths we may find uncomfortable or strange.
Solstice is online now   Reply With Quote