View Single Post
Old February 4 2014, 08:31 PM   #43
dub
Fleet Captain

Re: Is Avery Brooks a good actor?

Yanks wrote: View Post
You can also get a good feel for Avery in Shatner's "The Captains".
I think the "The Captains Close Up" paints a much more coherent picture of Brooks. At least that's how it came off to me. I think the first version was edited to make him look like a crazy man. I mean, he's still a unique guy with an interesting way of saying things, no matter how you slice it. But I think "Close Up" is the better version.

Yanks wrote: View Post
I kept rooting for him watch DS9. I complelety supported Star Trek having a "black captain". I thought it was appropriate and the franchise needed to go there. (Same with Janeway). But my thoughts were always "why didn't they chose someone that could act?"
I think he was a little stiff in the beginning, but I think much of the cast was as well. As the series grew, so did the cast. And they were able to find their chemistry. Strangely, I really feel when he shaved his head he loosened up quite a bit and really found Sisko. The hair added to his stiffness! He also seems to be better when he's in scenes with better actors. Unless he's being extremely emotional, then it seems Brooks can erase all of his surroundings and just be overwhelmed by whatever emotion is in the script. To me, he's one of the actors who got better as the show got better, and became superb when the show was superb.

Few of the actors were consistently good. Colm Meaney was, though his character was somewhat established. Andrew Robinson nailed it from the beginning. Marc Alaimo and Louise Fletcher were delicious villains from the beginning. I felt Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimerman both got better as their makeup improved. I think Nana Visitor was better as she toned down her anger, but in her defense that was a character development. The improved uniforms seemed to help as well, oddly enough.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote