View Single Post
Old February 3 2014, 05:18 PM   #52
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Re: Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
T J wrote: View Post
The original Cosmos may be a bit dated but Sagan's voice is something I can spend all day listening to, same for Tyson.
Agreed. I like to take his lectures, put them on a CD, and listen to them in the car when I drive. Aside from just being generally all-around awesome, Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a great teaching voice.
Absolutely. Tyson really does have an engaging voice and persona. The moment I fell in love with him was his interview with Colbert. I hadn't laughed that hard (while still learning something meaningful) in a long, long time. And his Star Talk podcasts are a must-listen.
He was also great when on The Today Show with Jon Stewart, especially when he pointed out that the globe they use in the begnning is spinning the wrong way and Stewart loses it

I love guys like this who have such a passion for science and are able to bring it closer to non-scientists in a way that's not dumbed down but interesting (only professionals really need/want and understand the specifics concerning advanced mathematics and physics/chemistry). It's like Harry Potter.. not world literature but it gets people reading and maybe they'll stick with it, like it and start expanding their horizon.

I'll be definitely watching this.